Black Mold Removal Products For Complete Remediation

Looking for products that kill mold? Here are some commercial and homemade mold abatement products to combat mold challenges.

Black mold can grow in your home, either visibly or in hidden spaces. They thrive in dark, moist areas, and getting rid of mold after they have spread out could be a real headache.

With the right conditions, black mold can grow in as fast as 48 hours and cause respiratory problems and allergies. Typically, they can be found in the kitchen, bathroom, and basement.

Mold Treatment Products That Work

While there are steps you can take to prevent mold from growing in your home, there are also products you can use to get rid of them if they are already present.

In this article, we’ll be discussing what products are used for mold remediation and how you can apply them.

Keep reading!

What Products Get Rid Of Black Mold?

Thankfully, there are many commercial black mold removal products you can use to get rid of black mold. The issue with these products is that they are made with harsh chemicals that are just as dangerous as the mold itself.

If you’d like to take the safer non-toxic route, then there are less harmful household mold cleaners you can equally use.

Let us take a look at some of them.

  • Hydrogen Peroxide

For those who don’t know, hydrogen peroxide is an antifungal product that can be used to treat bacteria and other fungal infestations. The good news is, you probably have it in your medicine cabinet.

If you don’t, then you can get it from a chemist near you.

It can be applied safely on many surface types, including your kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, counters, hard floors, and some wall surfaces.

To use, simply pour a 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle, then test on a small area to be sure of how it will affect the color of the surface.

When you’re sure there will be no discoloration, you can apply the HP to the areas where the mold has been infested, then allow it to sit for 10 minutes.

The next thing to do is grab a hard brush then scrub the treated areas as hard as you can until the mold has been scraped off the wall. You can then pour some water across the surface then use a clean cloth to wipe it dry.

  • Vinegar

White vinegar can also be used to get rid of black mold. It is mildly acidic so be sure not to accidentally ingest it.

The good thing about using white vinegar besides the fact it can remove black mold is that it can also get rid of the musty smell that comes from the mold.

White vinegar is powerful enough to kill about 82% of mold species known to humans.

To use, pour the vinegar into a spray bottle, but do not mix with water. White vinegar possesses only 20% acetic acid so mixing with water will make it less effective.

Now spray the white vinegar across the mold-infested surface and let it sit for one hour before you wipe it clean with a cloth and water.

Vinegar has a strong smell, but it should clear after an hour or so.

  • Baking Soda

Just like white vinegar, baking soda can also remove the musty smell that comes from black mold. It is also a safe and effective product you can use to remove them from your surfaces.

It is non-toxic so it can be used around infants and pets. And it doesn’t just remove black mold, it kills them too.

To use, simply add ¼ tablespoon of baking soda to a spray bottle with some water, then shake thoroughly until the powder has been dissolved.

When the mix is ready, you can spray the infested areas and then scrub the loosened mold with a hard brush.

The next step is to rinse the surface with some clean water to get rid of any baking soda residue. Spray the area once more then leave it to dry by itself, don’t rinse or wipe this time.

Doing this will kill any leftover black mold and ensure they don’t grow again.

If the black mold infestation is really serious, then mix two parts baking soda with one part white vinegar and one part water for a more devastating solution.

Stir the mixture to form a thick paste, then spread it across the surface and leave it to dry. The next step would be to scrub away the paste along with the mold, then rinse the residue off with water, then wipe it clean with a cloth.

  • Essential Oils

Essential oils have been used for many years to fight bacteria and viral infections. You can also use it to safely remove black mold from your surfaces.

Tea tree oil is one of such essential oils, which also acts as a repellant, a deodorizer, and an antiseptic. The level of safety of this product is what has made it a popular remedy for black mold removal.

To use, combine a teaspoon of tea tree oil with a cup of water then pour into a spray bottle. Shake it thoroughly to get a perfect blend then spray across the affected areas.

Leave it for about an hour to dry and then use a dry towel to wipe the surface.

Take precautions when using essential oils, as some people have discovered that it can irritate their skin when contact is made. You can put on a pair of rubber gloves for safety.

  • Lemons

Another tested and trusted mold killer is lemon, it is also one of the best mold treatment products you can find. Lemon is a natural deodorizer so it won’t just kill the black mold, it can eliminate the musty smell too.

It has a high concentration of acid so it can easily break down mold to the point where you can easily wipe it off. It also a disinfectant so it will leave the surface germ-free after cleaning.

The sweet-smelling citrus aroma certifies that lemon is one of the best organic products that kill mold.

To use, squeeze about 5 lemons into a cup then sprinkle it over the black mold. All it needs is about 5 minutes for it to work before you wipe the mold off with a dry towel.

For more stubborn black mold stains, you can squeeze some more lemons then apply them to the surface again. Repeat the process one more time if need be.

The good thing about the above-mentioned products is that they are also great for mildew removal, so they are highly recommended!

Commercial Black Mold Removal Products Vs Homemade Products

There have been debates about which class of black mold removal product is the best. Commercial or homemade?

Let us compare both so you can choose which is best for your unique situation.

Pros Of Using Commercial Mold Removal Products

The biggest advantage of using most commercial black mold removal products is that they are highly toxic, which means they can kill mold faster than homemade mold killer products.

It is also ready-made so you don’t have to worry about preparing a solution yourself. In many instances, many people who opt for the homemade option don’t get the mixture right.

Cons Of Using Commercial Mold Removal Products

The biggest advantage of using most commercial mold removal products is also its biggest disadvantage – It is highly toxic and isn’t safe to use around children and pets.

It is also more expensive than a homemade solution.

Pros Of Using Homemade Black Mold Removal Products

If you’re the type that takes safety seriously, then the non-toxic nature of homemade mold removal solutions should interest you.

They are very safe to use around children and pets and most solutions are purely organic.

It is also cheaper than commercial mold removal products, which means you can save some money!

Cons Of Using Homemade Mold Removal Products

One of the major cons of using homemade mold removal products is that you need to get the blend right for the best results.

Another downside is that it works slower than commercial products. Nonetheless, it remains a popular option, because nothing beats safety in the end!

Warning!

Regardless of the black mold removal product you choose, you need to proceed with caution.

This is because black mold can cause allergies when they make contact with human skin, they are also unhealthy for those with an existing respiratory issue.

If you must use the black mold removal products yourself, ensure that you do not make direct contact with them. Put on a pair of rubber gloves to keep your fingers from touching the mold.

Being protected when using commercial mold removal products is also important. This is because many of them contain toxic chemicals that can harm a person.

A pair of gloves, a facemask, and protective goggles will ensure your skin doesn’t come in contact with the black mold or the chemicals contained in commercial products.

Conclusion

Whether you opt for a toxic or non-toxic black mold removal product, you can be sure that you will get the job done, as long as you apply them correctly.

Remember to protect yourself as you use these products, safety first!

We hope the information provided in this article has been helpful.

Thanks for reading!

Related Guides:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *